Sunday, November 30, 2014

{2014 TBR Pile Challenge Review} THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

ISBN #: 978-0142424179
Page Count: 352
Copyright: April 8, 2014
Publisher: Speak; Reprint Edition


Book Summary:
(Taken from Amazon)

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.


Kathy's Review:
(Copied with permission from her personal blog, Grown Up Book Reports)

This book is everything it was supposed to be. Much hyped, much loved. It’s obvious that author John Green “gets” teens. And he also “gets” cancer. He writes about both so believably, it feels like he has recorded the lives of two actual teens – and has captured all their quirks and silly in-jokes and emotions. Hazel and Gus are not your typical teens – both are survivors of cancer. Gus has lost his leg in his battle with cancer, but seems to be in remission. Hazel’s lungs are decimated and she must breathe with the assistance of an oxygen tank or BiPAP machine at all times. Yet, their romance seems as silly and carefree as any other young couple.

I heard the whole “you’ll laugh, you’ll cry” thing about this book. It’s funny. I mean, really, really funny. Every page has something witty on it. Like, so witty that I’m like, man, I wish I had an ounce of this wittiness, and I consider myself to be fairly witty. Hazel and Gus are themselves witty, but in a totally believable teen way. And then the sadness. While I did not shed an actual tear due to a) the ice in my cold, cold heart and b) I had heard what happened, I can see how someone could completely be devastated by what happens in the book.

This is a “YA” novel but it’s so good and so … GOOD that I think it needs to be universally read and enjoyed. I find no fault in this book, not one.

*Oh and btw? This is one of my 2014 TBR Pile Reading Challenge alternates. Okay? Okay.

1 comment:

  1. Haha "ice in your cold heart" you kill me. I loved this books for all the same reasons. John Green has become one of my favorite authors. Okay? Okay.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast