Friday, March 21, 2014

{Review} TROUBLED DAUGHTERS, TWISTED WIVES Edited by Sarah Weinman

ISBN #: 978-0143122548
Page Count: 384
Copyright: August 27, 2013
Publisher: Penguin Books


Book Summary:
(Taken from back cover)

A salute to the real femmes fatales of the domestic suspense genre - and the deceitful children, deranged husbands, vengeful friends, and murderous wives they unleashed.

Gillian Flynn, Tana French, and Sue Grafton - these women and others like them dominate today's bestseller lists, but where would they be without the pioneering women authors who created the psychological thriller? Sarah Weinman, one of today's preeminent authorities on crime fiction, brings together fourteen chilling stories by women who - from the 1940s through the mid-1970s - took a scalpel to contemporary society and sliced away to reveal its dark essence.

TROUBLED DAUTHERS, TWISTED WIVES includes hair-raising tales by Patricia Highsmith, Shirley Jackson, Vera Caspary, and more, giving readers a glimpse into their most sinister impulses.


Mandy's Review:

First, let me say that I was supposed to give this book away during October last year. The only reason I didn't was because I misplaced it and completely forgot about it. I am so sorry, y'all. So, because I forgot to give it away, I decided to read and review it.

The first thing this book made me realize was how many authors I don't know anything about. I didn't recognize many of the authors in this book, which sort of made me feel inadequate as a book reviewer.

Reading TD,TW was an interesting experience. The more twisted the story, the more I enjoyed it. There were a few, however, where I questioned the validity of it being included in this anthology. For example, "Everybody Needs A Mink" was neither twisted nor troubled. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how this can be included in the collection. One of my favorites, though, was "Stranger in the Car." Although it was a little long for a short story, the plot was twisted and troubled and well worth the read.

Overall, I'm glad I gave TD,TW a try. It introduced me to some new authors whom I intend to read.


*A physical copy was provided by the publisher for a giveaway I forgot about. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast